What exactly is a self-care date night, you might be wondering?
Well, I’m always telling people that self care isn’t selfish…and it’s not. Practicing regular self care is like preventive medicine
for your mind, body, and soul. When you take care of yourself, you are much better equipped to care for others. Your relationships are healthier, you feel more peaceful, and you are better equipped to regulate your emotions. Self care is the bomb.com. For real.
But most of the time when people think of self care, they think of doing things by themselves, away from others. While it is definitely important to find time alone to be still
, practice gratitude
, and recharge
, self care doesn’t always
have to be something you do by yourself. In fact, maintaining healthy relationships
is a huge part of self care. The healthier and happier your loved ones are, the healthier and happier you will be.
And vice versa. (That’s why I’m so fond of the sayings “Happy wife, happy life” and the ever popular “If mama ain’t happy ain’t nobody happy.” Just sayin).
So I’ve curated a list of ways you can have a self care date night with your partner in the hopes that it won’t just be mama that is happy. Self care is an equal opportunity happiness provider.
1. Drive to a lovely spot to watch the sunset.
2. Bring a bunch of cushions or blankets and pillows into your backyard and spend an evening having amazing conversation. Use these 20 questions
as a starting point in case you find yourselves only talking about the kids (it happens).
3. Light a fire in your fireplace or have a bonfire outside, put on some tunes and have some snacks. So hygge
5. Cook something delicious together and enjoy a quiet meal just the two of you.
6. Whip up a new cocktail or mocktail together using ingredients you already have. The best mixologist wins!
7. Go for a walk or hike together.
8. Snuggle up on the couch with blankets and books. As weird as it sounds, it can actually be pretty fun to read (even different books) together.
9. Each of you make a list of ten things you are grateful for. Share your lists and talk about why you are thankful for each one.
10. Watch a movie you both love.
11. Take a nap
. Seriously. Together naps are the best.
12. Have a picnic in a beautiful spot.
13. De-clutter a room or space in your home together. Reward yourselves for your hard work (and for making your life more peaceful!) by going out to your favorite restaurant after.
14. Look through old photo albums together. Have fun reminiscing about good times and all you have been through.
15. Host a dinner party for a group of friends you both enjoy. Gathering with those you love always refreshes the soul.
Are there any other ways you enjoy a self care date night with the one you love? Let me know in the comments!